Memecoins are deeply rooted in Internet culture and have made their way into the world of crypto. From Dogecoin and Shiba Inu (SHIB) to the latest craze surrounding the popular PEPE coin, the industry has embraced them.
Now, the frenzy around PEPE coins is spreading to other protocols, and Bitcoin appears to be catching on. However, it’s not quite what you might expect.
- Ordinals Wallet is a veteran wallet that supports what are known as NFTs on Bitcoin – called Ordinals. Although they are referred to as NFTs, they differ from legacy non-fungible tokens as they are known on Ethereum.
- The team behind Ordinals made the news when they decided to airdrop Pixel Pepe’s ordinals to users who had made a transaction on their wallet or marketplace before block 777888.
- This happened in the first week of Ordinals Wallet’s creation.
- The interesting part is that, at the time of posting, the lowest floor price was around 0.4 BTC, nearly a whopping $12,000.
Pixel Pepes incoming! @ordinalswallet confirmed that they had airdropped #PixelPepes to users who made a transaction onto their wallet/marketplace before block 777888. -> The total supply of Pixel Pepes is 1563, and their current floor price is 0.319999 $BTC pic.twitter.com/0iqNHUxRnc
— CryptoPotato Official (@Crypto_Potato) May 10, 2023
- Meanwhile, the price of PEPE has lost a significant portion of its recently acquired value, and its market capitalization has fallen to around $800 million after peaking at close to $2 billion a few days ago.