Elon Musk, the CEO of SpaceX and a fan of Dogecoin, announced that the company is planning a test flight of its Starship rocket on April 20, which happens to be celebrated as “Doge Day” by the Dogecoin community.
- Doge Day was declared by the Doge community in 2021 with a goal of increasing the value of the coin. In April 2021, Doge skyrocketed to new highs around $0.30, before reaching $0.70 in early May.
- “Maybe 4/20, maybe not,” tweeted Musk about the launch on Tuesday. The launch was initially set for April 17 but was delayed due to a frozen pressurant valve.
- Some members of the Dogecoin community believe that this delay is part of Musk’s “master plan” to launch a rocket on Doge Day.
- “The launch of the biggest rocket on the planet, delayed for the sake of memes,tweeted Dogecoin graphic designer DogeDesigner on Monday “All hail the meme-lord.”
- Dogecoin Foundation member Marshall Hayner posted a simple “420” possibly referring to Doge Day.
- In 2021, SpaceX collaborated on a Dogecoin-funded rocket launch to the moon, which was named “DOGE-1”. It was the furthest any CubeSat had traveled from Earth’s surface.