Cryptocurrency exchange Bitrue experienced exploitation today, resulting in the withdrawal of approximately $23 million worth of cryptocurrency.
The official confirmation of the exploit was made.
- In a Twitter thread today, Bitrue confirmed that one of their hot wallets suffered a «brief exploit.»
1/4: We have identified a brief exploit in one of our hot wallets on 07:18 (UTC), 14 April 2023. We were able to address this matter quickly and prevented the further exploit of funds. We take this matter seriously and are currently investigating the situation. pic.twitter.com/QioPHSB2DM
— Bitrue (@BitrueOfficial) April 14, 2023
- The team reportedly prevented any further damage from occurring.
- According to the announcement:
The attackers were able to withdraw assets worth approximately 23M USD in ETH, QNT, GALA, SHIB, HOT, and MATIC. The affected hot wallet only holds less than 5% of our overall funds. The rest of our wallets remain secure and have not been compromised.
- The reason for the exploit is unknown, whether it was due to a technical error or social engineering.
- The exchange has suspended withdrawals until April 18th «to conduct additional security checks.»