Matt Damon, the American actor, joined forces with Crypto.com in 2021 to promote its services, and the resulting ad titled “Fortune Favors the Bold” received a lot of backlash.
In a recent interview, Damon revealed that the exchange had given $1 million to his charity organization, water.org, which was the driving force behind his decision to partner with the company.
- As with many competitors in 2021’s bull market, Crypto.com undertook several marketing campaigns, including a popular commercial featuring Damon.
- In the ad, set in a futuristic world, he encouraged people to take a chance and invest in cryptocurrencies using Crypto.com’s services.
- However, Damon received criticism from many cryptocurrency sceptics on Twitter, who believed that his involvement might lead inexperienced investors into a volatile industry and cause them significant financial loss.
- During a recent film premiere, Damon disclosed that he took the commercial opportunity to raise funds for water.org, and in kindness, Crypto.com donated $1 million to the organization at a critical moment when funds were desperately needed:
“I did that commercial in an attempt to raise money for water.org. And I gave my whole salary to water.org because we were down. And Crypto.com heard about that, and they gave $1 million to water.org just on their own. So I definitely have a lot of gratitude to them for what they did for our foundation.”
- According to Bloomberg in 2021, Damon is also an investor in Crypto.com.
- A few weeks after the company’s collaboration with the actor, it signed a $700 million deal with the iconic Staples Center in Los Angeles, which led to renaming the home ground of the LA Lakers and LA Clippers the Crypto.com Arena.
Featured Image Courtesy of The_Guardian